Day 22 - July 13 - De Pere WI to Marinette WI - record heat is back

 Weather :  it was already 80F (28C) at 8:30 with moderate humidity and a noticeable wind from the west. The day got hot quickly as the warm western winds picked up and by late afternoon, the temperature reached 98F (37C) with a heat index of 105F (41C).   Given that I was traveling in a northerly direction, the wind was mostly a cross wind.   The sun was intense all day and there was hardly any shade along the route.   It felt like Tennessee a fortnight ago.  Luckily I had a short ride planned,

Distance: 62.6 miles (101kms)

Average moving speed: 13.5mph (22kph)

Elevation gain: 595feet (181meters) - the route followed the flat shores of Lake Michigan

Calories: 2131

Estimated sweat loss: 5.6 liters (189 fl oz).  I drank a lot (liter of chocolate milk, large cold coffee, 6 liters of water, Coke and lemonade, and 32 oz Powerade) but I was still thirsty.

I followed the Fox River Trail to downtown Green Bay and then soon got on the country roads to the north approached the lake shore at various points though when I stopped to survey the scene, the mosquitoes attacked viciously and I moved on quickly


The route was very flat, perhaps the day with the least elevation gain on this journey.




Many historical markers were visible along the Fox River Trail, including this one.



As I was looking at the old train station, now converted to a restaurant/bar by the brewery across the road, I was approached by three Canadian cyclists who were doing the circle around Lake Michigan.  They traveled very lightly, with carbon bikes and said that they averaged about 150miles a day.  They took photographs of our encounter, and asked if I was on Strava. (They clearly are).  I did not expect to see them as they headed north, but funnily enough I saw them at lunchtime in Oconto and a few hours later in Peshtigo at the grocery store.  We have the same taste in refreshments - and lots of ice cream.  It was like the story of the tortoise and the hares.  They still planned to ride another 60 miles after 3:30pm in devastating heat.  I hope that they made their hotel in Escanaba.


The refurbished train station inn Green Bay - a plaque in front discusses the crowds that greeted the winning Packer (American football) teams in the 1920s on their return.  Not to leave any doubt about the Packer connection, there is a huge statue of a star player in front of the terminal.


My planned route was blocked by road construction and as I tried to work out an alternative, a friendly retired local offered to take me and the bike in his pickup truck around the blockage.  He even offered to take me to Marinette (about 30 miles away) if I wanted as he said "I'm retired and I have plenty of time."   One of many kind people who have stopped to ask if I need help when they see me examining the map.


Though I'm now out of the fertile farmlands of central Wisconsin, there is not much shade from the trees.  There is more evidence of the lumber industry - and lots of signs of snowmobile and other winter winter sports.


On a hot day with intense sunshine, newly tarred roads made the ordeal worse as one can feel the heat rising from the black surface. Unfortunately, I was on such a surface for about 5 miles.
Of 

Of course, I had to stop for a photo of the iconic Old Style sign on a corner bar in Peshtigo.  I was tempted to stop but I wanted to get done with the ride and get out of the heat.


By the time I got to Marinette, the temperature had reached 98F (37C) with a heat index of about 107F (42C).  There is a heat advisory till tomorrow evening from the National Weather Service. Wednesday and Thursday promise a little cooler weather.


The forecast for tomorrow is for even higher temperature than today so I need to get going early to try to avoid the late afternoon furnace.   It promises to be a tough day.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 0 - June 19 - Preparing in New Orleans

Day 1 - June 20 New Orleans to Gulfport MS - a bumpy start

Day 2 - June 21 from the Coastal Plain to the Piney Woods - Gulfport MS to Hattiesburg MS