Day 14 - July 5 - Salem IL to Mattoon IL - corn, trains and changeable weather
Weather: a little bit of everything. 75F (23C) and almost 100% humidity at 8am, with mist and fog conditions. About 11am, it rained a little and the sun broke through the clouds/fog. The wind picked up from the north and the humidity dropped a lot. By 2pm it was 85F (30C) and the heat index was about 95F (35C). The head wind for the last 3 hours was annoying but for the first time in a fortnight, it was actually a little cooling.
Distance: 80.7 miles (130kms)
Elevation Gain: 1335feet (407 meters)
Average Moving Speed: 12.9mph (21kph) in 5hrs50mins
Calories expended: 4330
Shvitz Index: 8/10 in the morning but dropped after the wind picked up, and the humidity decreased - so overall 6/10
The forecast called for the possibility of rain around noon and so, it proved to be. A light rain shower presaged a change to a fresher day with the north wind picking up. It was gusty at times and slowed me a lot. The route was mostly through corn (maize fields) with no shade from the sun which appeared strongly around noon.
The double track of the former IC railroad. I saw the Amtrak passenger train "City of New Orleans" flying north to Chicago and many slower freight trains. (I was reminded of the Steve Goodman song "City of New Orleans" from 1971 and later popularized by Arlo Guthrie. It includes the accurate lyrics
The train pulls out at Kankakee
Rolls along past houses, farms and fields"
Somewhat surprisingly, I did not see any Trump signs in the South and saw my first one south of Carbondale on Friday. This is the second one near Effingham and accompanied by a protest against a local solar power project.
This was the scene for most ot the day - an empty highway, high corn ('high as an elephant's eye by the 4th Juky and lots of tasseling.
Tomorrow I plan to ride the 50 miles to Champaign-Urbana where I was on the University of Illinois faculty for 15 years in the 1970s and 1980s. The planned route will pass through many small towns in which I ran 10k races in the 1980s in very similar conditions as today - temperatures in the 80sF and high humidity.
Comments
Post a Comment